Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Guessing Game






If there was any justice in the world, spectrum kids would come with instruction booklets with a fat chapter on malfunctioning...or reset buttons for when things get out of whack.  But that's just not the case.  Every day and every decision is a guessing game.  You constantly have to be thinking three steps ahead.  Will this work for my child?  Will he react badly to that?  Is my poor parenting decision of letting my son eat a ton of McDonald's fries and meat this weekend going to lead to night terrors, communication struggles, colossal meltdowns, and Isaac scratching up a kid for taking his napkin during snack time at school?  Oops, I didn't think of that one. 

Thankfully, our road has been sprinkled with a trail of little gluten free breadcrumbs to lead the way.  As soon as a mystery pops up it seems I always find myself in a conversation, book, situation, or article that leads to some answers.  And I'm grateful for that.  This week's mystery was what could be causing the above listed behaviors in Isaac.  We were suspicious of the McDonald's food since it was something he ate in excess, and also since he had the tell-tale red face this weekend after eating it.  Still, my McDonald's research a year ago had said that McD's fries and meat were gluten free so I chalked up the out-of-whackness to high yeast, a possible virus, and a long weekend with company.  Then I happened upon a conversation with a gfcf friend today about McDonald's fries.  She said she had heard that they are not gluten free and dairy free, because they use a beef flavoring on them that contains both of these ingredients.  The sky was falling.  This. Cannot. Be. True.  My easy out!  My bribing technique!  My traveling made easy option!  Ahhhhh!

Of course, my denial would not let me take her word for it; so I came straight home and did my own research.  My conclusion was this:  Damn it.  You have failed more than my waste-line, McDonald's.  The fries are not 100% gfcf.  You were right, Michelle!  However, I do think that because it is such a trace amount we only saw a reaction in Isaac via the extra amount he ate this weekend.  Will I still let him have small amounts of McD's  fries?  Probably not.  I'm a stickler.  I hate to think that he could be feeling icky due to food and just can't tell me.  So the search for gfcf fast food continues as it is a necessary evil when traveling or just busy.  Less guessing and more research, Libby.  Mystery solved thanks to Michelle and this handy gluten-free blog: http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/2010/08/are-mcdonalds-fries-gluten-free/.

No comments:

Post a Comment