Tuesday, March 8, 2011

We're still here

As much as I'd like to say that I've prematurely given up reading and writing for Lent to cover up my recent bout of laziness; we all know better than that.  I'm just not good at multitasking.  The past week or so has been filled with house cleaning, illness resulting in more house cleaning, and trying to find my way out from the bottom of the peanut butter chocolate chip granola bar box.  Why are they so addictive?  I'll tell you why; it's winter.  It. Just. Won't. End.  I think my body is trying (and succeeding) at making fat stores in case it really never ends.  Little does it know that I've been fighting back with my hot new bike, ipod, a strategically placed picture of the 18 year old version of me, and a looming midlife crisis.  I'm hoping it gets the message soon.

Like most moms, I struggle to find a balance between doing for my family and doing for myself.  I think this is especially true if you have a child with special needs.  You can kind of get wrapped up in being the ring leader to their circus.  Or maybe it's just easier, in some cases, to throw yourself into them rather than deal with whatever else might be going on.  i.e. I know how to be a good mom.  I don't always know how to be a healthy, thriving 25 year old.  Or a wife.  Or a Christian.  Or a person with interests.  Therefore, I'll just be mom for now.  Not a good idea.  You turn into Frumpasaurus Rex.  She's in the previous post.  So I am putting away Dr. Sears for a little while, cracking open a just-for-fun book, and picking out a new tattoo for when I lose all these peanut butter chocolate chip granola bars.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Meanwhile, Isaac has been holding his own.  Sure he woke me up this morning by repeatedly poking me in the face and then puking on me, but we were due for a good virus.  He has been remarkably healthy lately.  My current goal for Isaac?  Getting him to eat more of a variety of foods.  He will only eat raw broccoli with butter on it, cooked winter squash, and unhealthy versions of potatoes when it comes to veggies.  On top of having a super limited diet, he's a picky eater.  He wasn't always this way.  He used to eat pretty much anything you put in front of him.  I'm not exactly sure when this changed, but I feel like it was right around the time when everything else changed.  And definitely after we stopped sprinkling cheese on everything.  If anyone has some insight into the world of picky eaters on the spectrum- please, PLEASE pass it along.

He has been doing ok in school.  We're still working through some pragmatic language issues and some pretty typical three year old frustrations (on the parenting end), but I have to say the typical three year old stuff only makes me happy.  It's progress.  He has started wanting to pick out his own clothes.  The other day he went to school with black pants with red plaid pockets and a blue and orange striped sweater.  He looked like a hipster.  My heart was warm.  He's also playing elaborate stalling games when it's time to get ready to go somewhere he doesn't want to go.  "No school.  I'm tired now, mommy.  I go to bed."  Annoying, typical, three year old behavior.  I love it.

So lest you think we've fallen off the face of the earth, we're still here.  We're just trudging through the end of winter, the flu, and all the other things that make up our little slice of dysfunction.  Happy FAT Tuesday.  I hope you ate too many granola bars too.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry about the picky eating. We are going through a similar pickiness right now, where she won't even touch green beans or anything green, when she used to inhale it not even two weeks ago. However, we had a really terrible experience at the ER last week and I think that is what triggered the picky eating. It must be even harder when all your food is so limited. Good luck and if I think of anything I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiff,
    Oh no! Why did you have to go to the ER? And why was it terrible? I miss green beans too...they were such an easy food.

    ReplyDelete