Wednesday, July 20, 2011

It's going to be a long day

Ah, contentment, thy name is exhaustion.  Nothing makes me more content with having only one child than a morning like this morning.  At 5:30am, Andrew proceeded to explain to me all the reasons why his stomach might hurt.  I was sleeping, but that didn't seem to bother him.  At 5:45am Isaac came out of his room to inform us that he had peed the bed.  Early morning chores commence because of this.  Andrew leaves for work and it becomes clear that Isaac and I are not going to fall back to sleep.  I leave him in my bed and sneak downstairs to eat breakfast in peace.  Isaac yells down that he is hungry and we agree upon oatmeal.  I'm cooking (read microwaving) his breakfast and hear him crying upstairs.  Sure enough he had been sticking his head through the banister and pulled out too fast and hurt himself.  Dramatic tears ensue that make me feel more annoyed than concerned because we've warned him 100,000,000 times that this is what happens when you stick your head through the banister.  He decides to head back upstairs to cry more, clearly fine by the way he dramatically stomps up.  These are the mornings I store in my heart when I'm feeling nostalgic about having a baby.  I like sleep.  I love coffee.  I'm trying to ignore the pouty, growling noises of my three year old.  It's going to be a long day.

Meanwhile, I received a new resource from a friend last night.  My friend, Rob, who is a teacher in NY state sent me a resource that is in my own back yard.  He said that Carol Gray came up with the idea of stories for social skills, not me.  Turns out Carol Gray and The Gray Center are in my own backyard of Zeeland, MI.  That is right where we go to the beach!  Thanks, Rob.  

In other news, I actually found a template and wrote a social story that hammers home the meet and greet of "what is your name?" and "how old are you?" yesterday.  I even drew pictures with crayons!  It was fun, and Isaac seemed to like the story, but the verdict is still out as to whether or not it helped him understand these questions better.

Oh, more crying.

Please pray for a nap.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to say that we got out of the house and our day went way smoother than I thought it was going to be.

    ReplyDelete