Thursday, April 26, 2012

Homeschooling, school assignment, and a sharp, hot stick in the eye

We're here!  We've officially moved into our sweet little rental house in North Carolina. Isaac has taken to homeschooling himself quite efficiently.  He calls me over when he needs help with directions or a concept, but is pretty self motivated.  He's flying through all the work books we have and asking to do art.  I think I will sign him up for a class or two this summer with the community center.  The kid misses his friends.  Big time.  Right now we are each gorging on the web after not having the internet for a week.  He's playing games on www.nickjr.com and I'm taking a break from researching schools in the area.

As it turns out, just because you live close to a school does not mean you are guaranteed to get into that school.  You must pick 5 schools and rank them according to your liking on a website, and then a stranger does some magical formula involving demographics and you are assigned to a school.  Bummer.  The school I really hope to get Isaac into is the one closest to our house as it is highly rated.  My conclusion is that I don't care, because what I know is this:  My kid is smart.  He will excel  wherever he is as long as I keep supporting him at home.  And if I end up hating the school he is assigned to, I can always switch him.  Hell, I can always pull him out and keep homeschooling him if I want to.  This is the way I have to approach all this school stuff. Otherwise a sharp, hot stick in the eye starts to sound really appealing and I'm not entirely sure that my new health insurance has kicked in yet.

And that, my friends, is your update.  I'll let you know when I find the Trader Joe's and the love I am sure to feel when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment