Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Just Read It- A personal and opinionated review

http://www.kimstagliano.com/book.html

 I unfortunately finished Kim Stagliano's book last night.  I say "unfortunately" because it was one of those books that I didn't want to end.  I turned the last page of the final chapter eager to dig into another only to find the glossary and index.  It was like hanging up the phone after one of the best conversations of my life.  One of those rare conversations where you feel like the person on the other end actually "gets you".  It was in a word, satisfying.  I laughed, sighed, and was tempted to cry as I peered into a life in many ways similar to mine.  Who doesn't like to know they aren't the only one with a quirky kid, marriage bumps in the road (or pot-holes in our case...love you, Andrew), or even a gay sibling (or two...love you, Jess and Brie)?  Reading this book is like sitting with a friend over coffee and solving the world's problems- except that at the end of it you actually have added some more tools to your belt instead of just coffee cake to your waist-line.

Kim (yes, I like to pretend we are on a first name basis) has all the wisdom of someone swimming in the world of autism for over a decade.  She is funny, opinionated, passionate, and has the intelligence to back it up.  I am grateful for her honesty about life in A-land, and am feeling a spark of renewed energy to continue on our journey of finding answers for Isaac and passing on resources to others in our boat.  Keep on writing, Kim, but most of all keep on being you as you have so finely mastered.  This book is a must-read for everyone, not just those within the autism community.  Just read it.

6 comments:

  1. Hello, Mrs. Loucks - see? Now doesn't that sound ridiculous? Hello, Libbby.
    "Reading this book is like sitting with a friend over coffee and solving the worlds problems- except that at the end of it you actually have added some more tools to your belt instead of just coffee cake to your waist-line." Best review line I have read - hands down. Thank you - I'll send anyone who has the book a signed bookplate - just email me your address and put Bookplate in the subject line please. kimstagliano@gmail.com

    THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let my friend borrow it today, and she is already 50 pages in. I have a feeling this one will move through our play group pretty fast. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh don't worry...I'm not letting it get too far out of my sight. Some of them will have to buy their own. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, based on Libby's recommendation that this is a worthwhile read for parents with kids who aren't on the spectrum we just (cough cough) bought the Kindle version. Happy reading to us.

    -Mark & Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, good choice. Does the kindle version include pictures (can you tell I'm a Luddite)? If not, I'll let you look at the pictures in my book.

    ReplyDelete