Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Be the parent

I posted this article http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/04/19/granderson.children.dress/index.html on my facebook page today.  The gist of the article is that parents need to be the parents and not let their daughters dress like tramps.  I loved it, because while I consider myself a very "to each their own" kind of person most of the time one thing that makes me rant it is the lack of parenting I see going on today.  Yes, I am the bitch at the playground who has been known to snidely remark to a ten year old that they are having poor manners and being rude when they trample toddlers while their mom is consumed in conversation with her just-as-guilty non-parenting friend.  Go ahead, judge me.  I doubt my kid will grow up to be a bully even if it means I make some enemies in the process.

But parenting is more than just saying no and giving the eyebrow-of-warning at the playground.  Sometimes being the parent means confrontation with other adults, teachers, and family members.  I am a little less comfortable with this part, but I know that it's a necessary evil when you are parenting a kid with special needs.  If I don't stick up for what I think is best for Isaac who will?  Still, I am not immune to caring what other adults- especially those in the special ed. field, think of me.  No one likes to be that mom, but sometimes it's unavoidable.  Today was one of those days.  My option was to feel sick to my stomach about something that happened at school or worry about other adults thinking I was crazy.  I guess they might think I'm being an over-parenting princess, but I happy to say that the email I wrote will help me sleep tonight and, more importantly, might help Isaac at school.

So my encouragement for today is to be the parent.  Say no.  Raise an eyebrow.  Write an email.  I don't know about you, but last time I checked there wasn't a do-over button for raising kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment