Friday, April 8, 2011

Isaac's gfcf healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

Ingredients:
1 packet of Eco Planet Original Hot Cereal (gf)
1/2 cup of Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour
1.5 tbsp Earth Balance Spread melted
2 full tablespoons of ground flax seed
1 generous shake of ground cinnamon
1 egg
1 super big squirt of agave nectar...or about 2 tablespoons for those who MUST HAVE measurements.
2 toddler handfuls of EnjoyLife gfcf chocolate chips...or 1/4 cup for the neurotics.





Preheat oven to 300
Mix all ingredients together.
Place on cookie sheet.
Bake for about 7 minutes- the longest 7 minutes of your life as your child asks if they are done yet and reminds you that he wants to eat a cookie and how much he likes cookies repeatedly while jumping up and down.
That's it! Makes about 9 small cookies and one happy three year old. 




If you've been following this blog, then you've probably noticed that I've been adding more of my non-precise gfcf recipes.  There are a couple reasons for this.  First, we've been trying to cook and bake with Isaac more often.  It's therapeutic for him.  Baking seems to instantly transport him from a grumpy, frustrated kid to a happy and talkative one.  I think it gives him a sense of being in control and being creative at the same time.  Who wouldn't like that?  Also, we're trying to give him the skills he'll need to carry this all-important diet into his adult life.  In addition, our circle of gfcf friends and relatives is growing.  My sister has a gluten allergy and was just diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) which means she now has to give up dairy too.  I made sure to encourage her with this sensitive homemade card: http://www.someecards.com/usercards/nsviewcard/MjAxMS05ODlmMWI4YzY4N2Q3Y2Zi
I'm sure she appreciated it. = )  And because I'm a self-deemed know-it-all, I thought I'd pass on some of our foodie tips to her and all of you.  I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment