Monday, November 7, 2011

A parent/teacher conference story

You know those credit card commercials in which they list "priceless" things?  Well, I got one: A parent/teacher conference that doesn't make you want to slide under the desk and buy a box of doughnuts and bottle of wine on the way home?  Priceless.

I think what made this conference tolerable to begin with is that it was with the two people from school that know Isaac best; his teacher and his social worker.  No OT, speech therapist, or weird old guy there to whisper amongst themselves while I was sitting right there.  No feeling like I had to defend my son to people who only see him once or twice a week.  In fact, the three of us had a good laugh over some of Isaac's trademark antics.  The boy is stubborn when it comes to doing things his way, but is slooooowly becoming more flexible.  He likes to argue with Miss Minda about what comes next in the schedule, but will double check his picture schedule and backhandedly admit that she was right.  "Music IS next, Minda!"  "Yes, I was right then, wasn't I?"  Isaac scowls and will not fully admit that she was right.  I wonder which parent he inherited this trait from.

I loved hearing the words, "I have no concerns about your son academically."  Apparently there are two books in the classroom that he can read cover to cover.  Also, they use www.starfall.com in the classroom just as we do at home.  Miss Minda is making sure she keeps feeding his interest in learning to read.  They have "book boxes" that they share with one other student.  They take turns carrying their box to a comfy spot to read basic beginner books together.  "A is for apple" type books.  Isaac is currently sharing a book box with Austin- the boy is his class that is pre-verbal, and to my eye- more classically autistic.  Minda told me that Isaac is excellent with Austin- which was my favorite part of the meeting, the news that made me most proud of my little boy. We've talked a lot about being nice and trying to help Austin when he is upset and crying.  I'm glad our talks are transferring to the classroom.  I will take my sometimes socially awkward, but very kind kid over a bully any day.  Flexibility in routine, some motor skill/writing issues, and social quirks are the wrinkles to be ironed out over the next year before kindergarten.  Compared to last year's list I'd say that's a fairy tale of a parent/teacher conference.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment